Windshield glass is not flexible in the same way that a rubber band is flexible. It is not possible to bend or twist a windshield glass without breaking it. However, windshield glass is designed to be somewhat flexible, so that it can withstand minor impacts without shattering.
Windshield glass is made of laminated glass, which is two layers of glass bonded together with a layer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resin. The PVB resin makes the windshield glass more flexible and helps to prevent it from shattering into sharp pieces if it is broken.
The amount of flexibility in a windshield glass depends on the thickness of the PVB resin layer. The thicker the PVB layer, the more flexible the windshield glass will be. However, a thicker PVB layer also makes the windshield glass heavier and more expensive.
In general, windshield glasses are designed to be strong enough to withstand most minor impacts, such as being hit by a pebble or a small piece of debris. However, if the impact is too great, the windshield glass may shatter. If your windshield glass is cracked or chipped, it is important to have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible. A damaged windshield can impair your visibility and make it more difficult to drive safely.
Here are some of the benefits of using laminated glass for windshields:
- It is more resistant to shattering than tempered glass.
- It can help to keep glass shards in place in the event of a crash, reducing the risk of injury.
- It is more energy-efficient than tempered glass, which can help to keep your car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Laminated glass is good for windshields because it is more resistant to shattering than tempered glass. In the event of a crash, the laminated glass will help to keep the glass shards in place, reducing the risk of injury to the driver and passengers. Laminated glass is also more energy-efficient than tempered glass, which can help to keep your car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Here are some of the specific benefits of using laminated glass for windshields:
- Safety: Laminated glass is more resistant to shattering than tempered glass. This is because the PVB resin layer holds the glass together in the event of a crash, preventing it from breaking into sharp pieces. This can help to reduce the risk of injury to the driver and passengers.
- Security: Laminated glass is also more difficult to break than tempered glass. This makes it a good choice for windshields, as it can help to prevent break-ins.
- Soundproofing: The PVB resin layer in laminated glass can help to reduce noise levels inside the car. This can make it more comfortable to drive and can also help to reduce driver fatigue.
- UV protection: Laminated glass can help to block ultraviolet (UV) rays. This can help to protect the interior of your car from fading and can also help to protect your skin from sun damage.
Overall, laminated glass is a good choice for windshields because it is more safe, secure, soundproof, and UV-protective than tempered glass.
Here are some other reasons why laminated glass is used for windshields:
- It is less likely to crack or chip than tempered glass.
- It can be repaired, unlike tempered glass.
- It is more resistant to thermal shock.
- It is more resistant to hail damage.
If you are looking for a safe and durable windshield for your car, laminated glass is a good option.
Dave’s Metro Auto Glass Offers Windshield Replacement
Dave’s Metro offers cheap windshield replacement to all areas of Phoenix including:Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale and more. We offer on-site or off-site windshield replacement which allows us to come to your home, office or anywhere else in the Phoenix Valley. We can handle windhsield replacement for Semi trucks, RV’s and Buses, Heavy Equipment Glass, and more. We also offer custom glass cutting.
At Dave’s Metro Glass we want your repair to be hassle free. This is why we offer a free mobile service to you. We want our customers to know that they have the option to come in the shop but when they prefer mobile service there will be no extra charge. In most cases, we are able to provide mobile service the same day!